Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home2/fernando/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 398

Fernando's Comics and Erotic Art Forum

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Christmas Card from 2008
Read the original blog post
July 5, 2013
7:19 am
Fernando
Admin
Forum Posts: 321

Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home2/fernando/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 398

2008 Fernando Christmas Card

Not too long ago I was asked a couple of questions here in the forum.  One of the questions was what was the hardest comic for me to conceive and draw.  The short answer to that is Sex Wars 3, but today I don't feel like elaborating on that.  This time I'm featuring one of the most difficult single illustrations I've ever done in the BDSM genre, and it was a Christmas card from 2008.  From what I recall, I had just finished Cheerleaders 7 and was taking a break between projects, so I had more time to devote to this than usual.  I don't mind drawing sexy women in Santa hats wearing not much else, but my weakness as an illustrator is drawing straight-lined, inanimate objects -- i.e. most backgrounds.  I can draw detailed backgrounds if I want to.  The trouble is most of the time I don't want to.  I have great respect for artists that have the patience and skill to do both detailed backgrounds as well as very beautiful and curvy women -- artists like Gary Roberts.

This drawing actually started out as a simpler illustration (below).  But when that was almost done, I felt it didn't have enough impact and humor.  And so it grew bigger when I decided to make it in wallpaper dimensions.  You can see several changes through the drawing process.  It's not too different when it comes to comics.  Most of the best panels you see in my comics went through several drafts and iterations before I settled on the final look.

2008 Christmas Card Original Draft2008 Christmas Card Layout

2008 Christmas Card (b/w)

I was actually thinking of making a tongue-in-cheek BDSM comic about this particular version of Santa Claus, but I'm afraid that might be too humorous for my publisher to appreciate.

Quick!  Aside from the color, there's a a big difference between the colored and the black and white illustrations.  Can you spot it in within ten seconds?

July 5, 2013
10:53 am
colacao
Forum Posts: 71

Hello Fernando. That brings back memories this Christmas card!smile

As for the differences in color postcard wheel girl has her head back, while in the first black and white image has it straight.

The dwarf of the wheel is behind the girl and right of the image, while in the first black and white in front of it and left.

In color, the girl is sitting on a dildo on the conveyor belt of dildos, while in the first black and white is out of it, and the girl's head is in different position.

The box of dildos rejected, color is there, and the first black and white image is not.

There are more, but for the moment I leave.frown

More members of this forum also have to play.lol

July 5, 2013
12:11 pm
Brakoner
Forum Posts: 7

colacao said
Hello Fernando. That brings back memories this Christmas card!smile
As for the differences in color postcard wheel girl has her head back, while in the first black and white image has it straight.
The dwarf of the wheel is behind the girl and right of the image, while in the first black and white in front of it and left.
In color, the girl is sitting on a dildo on the conveyor belt of dildos, while in the first black and white is out of it, and the girl's head is in different position.
The box of dildos rejected, color is there, and the first black and white image is not.

There are more, but for the moment I leave.frown
More members of this forum also have to play.lol

I think  its all about the missing girl with boxes on her back on the right side of b/w pic :)

July 5, 2013
7:45 pm
Torre
Forum Posts: 97

There are two rows of dildos in the first two previews bout only one in the finished picture.

The Christmas countdown is blank.

Yes, the girl with the boxes on her back is not in the black and white pic. 

July 6, 2013
4:24 am
Kurveball
Forum Posts: 61

I like the humor off the picture. Also very nice lines in the drawing

July 7, 2013
8:02 pm
TeddyBerry
Forum Posts: 323

Kurveball said  

I like the humor off the picture…

I completly agree.

I like humour in BDSM comics/art works, its a nice to see a change now-and-again. It would be nice if Fernando could do more of this kind of work (like the Devil Made Me Do It).

July 8, 2013
7:13 am
samhung453
Forum Posts: 1

I would love to see this as a full comic.

July 8, 2013
7:03 pm
GernBlanston
Forum Posts: 23

Thanks for this post, it gives some great clues to the process.  And it's a Fernando pic I haven't seen before, which is always a plus.

I'm curious about all the process stuff, but especially to know if you use any of the common 3D modelling software for backgrounds (like sketchup), since everyday straight-line stuff is such a bother/bore for you?  As you're probably aware, the more common software drawing suites (Manga Studio, Photoshop) have the capability to import and manipulate such models that you can subsequently reference or even trace over: Stuff like building interiors, everyday objects, torture devices, etc…

I really dig your work, btw, and appreciate that you (or whoever does it for you) apparently knows how to ink a page well, and understands line weighting and all the different subtleties of line.

That's what drives me crazy on Erenisch's stuff…he's a talented guy that knows the forms so well (and whoever colors his stuff now gets lighting and texturing), but his lines tend to look uniform and coloring-booky on a lot of his stuff…is he producing his all on a computer? 

July 8, 2013
8:21 pm
Fernando
Admin
Forum Posts: 321

I use some Sketchup but I don't use the output directly.  I usually trace over the output to give the drawings a consistent appearance vis-a-vis the figures.  I usually do these with cars and other vehicles.  I've also tried some Manga Studio (used it in the opening sequence of one of the Invaders comics for the cityscape).  I don't think I ever used it again after that -- I loved how it saved time, but computer-generated linework doesn't harmonize very well as backgrounds for my drawings (IMHO).  That's why I tend to use more of the former method (Sketchup then trace).

I do my own inking… actually I wouldn't call it "inking" because there's no "pencilling" stage.  The 3rd picture gives a pretty good idea how I draw: my sketches are extremely rough (those in color), then I just "ink" over those sketches straight away.  There's a lot of erasing and refinements that happen as I draw, but I've somehow learned more or less to draw straight to the final line work.  The only part I have someone else do for me is the color "flatting".

Thanks for the compliments, by the way.

AFAIK, Erenisch used to do the line work on paper but has moved to doing them on computer not too long ago.

July 8, 2013
9:00 pm
GernBlanston
Forum Posts: 23

Thanks for the reply!  Just wanted to add, that perspective shot of the girl on the left is pretty nice.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 48

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

fernandofan: 367

TeddyBerry: 323

Rud3b0y: 230

Demosthenes: 161

Thon: 142

okumo2: 134

Methadron: 133

hansmoleman: 118

Torre: 97

colacao: 71

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 1736

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 9

Topics: 171

Newest Members: alouette, Baldur, panties55, ttt_ferfan, KONTROLHER, ananka, 2kaotyk, dengbiao, angelbutt, Jordan56478

Administrators: Fernando (321), Forum Admin (0)